Hilton Los Cabos, A Marvelous Family Friendly Beach Resort in Mexico
Our family just returned from an amazing trip to Los Cabos, Mexico where we enjoyed a fabulous stay at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort. Situated between the towns of Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo, this beautiful resort is an easy 20-25 min taxi ride away from either town, and its location is ideal for accessing the many excursions, dining and nightlife options offered in and around the area.
From the moment we arrived at Hilton Los Cabos, it was obvious that the entire staff takes customer service and hospitality extremely seriously. We immediately sensed their warmth and appreciation for the families that vacation with them. It did not take us long to be thrilled with the choice we made.
Our family takes fairly active vacations, so we came “armed” with plans and even reservations for outside activities. We ended up scrapping half of them (which I heard is a common occurrence here) because we loved the resort so much and there was so much for everybody to do “on property”:
- There are two wonderful pools, the main infinity pool in the center of the resort and a slightly smaller, more intimate version on the east side of the resort. Both have swim-up bars and great poolside snacking options as well as adjacent hot tubs.
- Directly below the resort is an amazing stretch of sandy beach, where our children made sand forts and tirelessly played in the surf. We all enjoyed exploring the nearby giant boulders, which form a breakwater and create a small, protected gulf of calmer water, ideal for swimming. The area is inhabited with hundreds of crabs, which our children found fascinating. We took several long walks in both directions from the hotel and the beach was also fantastic for enjoying morning runs as the sun rose above the Sea of Cortez.
- Between the infinity pool and the beach, there is a whale-watching terrace with a built-in set of binoculars and, if you are planning your visit during the winter months, I guarantee you will see them!
- To facilitate some “quiet-time” for parents, the resort offers a free-of-charge kids club, called “Vacation Station” that is open to children ages 4-12. Its cheerful staff keeps children happily occupied with a variety of fun activities such as painting, arts & crafts or dancing. Our 6-year old daughter was excited about cooking and karaoke. Our 9-yr old son loved the foosball and air hockey tables as well as Ping-Pong on the outside terrace. The club is well stocked with a wide range of board games, movies and video games. The kids’ club staff also coordinates an after-hours baby-sitting service at a very reasonable cost.
- But fun for children at Hilton Los Cabos doesn’t end here. There are many other daily activities outside their kids’ club program, often taking place around the main pool or on the picturesque beach. Our daughter loved getting her face painted and the free mini chair massages while our son enjoyed soccer and volleyball on the beach. Other fun activities included tie dye T-shirt coloring, kite making, ceramic painting or, for the very small guests, a bouncy castle on the beach.
- The Hilton Los Cabos has several excellent restaurants. We particularly enjoyed El Meson (delicious local, Mexican food) and Fenicia (proof that one can find great Italian food in Mexico!).
- Duffers know that the resort is home to one of most popular golf courses in the region. We did not play, but heard other guests sing its praises.
- Yes, there is a lovely spa too. Try the hot stone massage! Enough said…
- The concierge desk is fabulously accommodating and skilled at providing excellent suggestions for activities based on your family preferences and the ages of your children. They are happy to help with all bookings and other needs that guests might have. We used them to help arrange a desert horseback ride and a whale-watching trip for our family. Two thumbs up!
An aspect of the resort I particularly loved was the ability of the staff to artfully balance catering to American tourists while simultaneously (and effortlessly) infusing Mexican cultural touches and experiences throughout the resort. Our children loved participating in a piñata party outside of the kids club and playing Spanish bingo. They also enjoyed the “tortilla making station,” operating each evening at El Meson. On several occasions they made delicious tortillas we then ate with our dinner. One night, the whole family enjoyed a tableside salsa-making lecture/demonstration, which was delicious with freshly made chips.
Many guests we met told us that they come back to this resort year after year. Having enjoyed our stay so much, I understand why and can envision an annual winter pilgrimage to Hilton Los Cabos as our own family’s tradition as well.
One side note: when we were getting ready for our trip at home in Chicago, several of my friends asked, “Are you worried about taking your family to Mexico, you know, given all that is going on?” For those who remain hesitant about traveling to Mexico, I can assure you that the Cabo San Lucas area is completely safe, perhaps more than many neighborhoods in our home city of Chicago.
A native of Slovenia, Vera moved to the U.S. 20 years ago after meeting her soulmate in an American exchange student. She currently lives on the North…